Sunday, May 26, 2013

Bayern Wins! - May 25, 2013

It has been constantly raining and cold. I can't say I'm a fan of that. However, I didn't let that get in the way of having an amazing day.

The day started off late as usual because we tend to stay up late hanging around and talking to each other so the first thing we did was go get lunch. We tried to go to Asian Tiger but it was closed on Saturdays so we went back to the Vietnamese place that we ate at for one of the group dinners. I got the same thing, chicken with fried rice, again because it was delicious and cheap. Then we went on an epic adventure to go find this giant thrift shop. It took quite a while to get there and we were all freezing and soaked. We were also a bit disappointed because the thrift shop was not exactly what we had expected.

When we got back to the hotel we decided to go to Kaiser and get snacks which was a fun experience. Then I remembered that my friend had told me to watch the Champions League Finals so I went and asked the front desk clerk what time it started and I began to research the best places to watch. I settled on the Oscar Wilde Irish Pub. A group of us headed out and when we got there it was packed because it was about a half hour before the game was scheduled to start.


The good thing about an Irish pub is that the people who were working in there happened to be Irish and could speak English. Also, they have really good french fries, or chips as they were calling them. We found seats on a bench that didn't have the best view of the screen, but it was the only place we could find to situate ourselves without being yelled at to move every 3 seconds.


Because of my friend Stefan I wanted Bayern München to win. I prefer their colors over Dortmund's yellow and black anyway. Luckily we ended up sitting near mostly Bayern fans. Being in this pub for the final was beyond cool. Whenever anything remotely exciting would happen everyone cheered, and I lost my voice cheering when Bayern scored their second goal near the end of the game. Everyone jumped up and high-fived and screamed, it was great. This night was definitely a highlight of mine. It was such a cool event to be a witness of, watching two German teams compete against each other in the CL finals in Germany.

Tonight was a night I'll never forget, and it is just another thing to add to my list of reasons why I love Berlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment